To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 135mm f/4.0 Tele-Elmar-M
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 07:36:54 -0800

Michael Reichmann wrote:

> high end camera users are having a great year.  While I'll likely get the F5
> (unless it's too extreem) I'll watch the AX from the sidelines... though
> I'll probably rent one for a weekend just to see what it's all about.The F5, I heard from a guy who talked to the guy who's shooting with one
for the brochure Nikon is putting together,is supposed to be a quantum
leap ahead of anything out so far. That's saying something, but then I
once had a Nikon rep. tell me that I would never had to take an FA of
autoexposure for any reason, and that it would give me perfect exposures
in ANY situation.

If you test it, let us know. I think the AX could be the key to how
Leica can go AF as well and not have to make the compromises they are
worried about, and refuse to make for good reason.

The biggest weakness with Contax is the lack of some significant focal
length/aperture selections at the long end. Who will pay $15,000 for the
priveledge of having a 300 2.8 that is only ifnitesimally better than an
EOS? $4,000 for a used Leica yes, but we have to get real somewhere. <g>

--
Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR