Subject: [Leica] The Passing of E-6
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 16:22:54 -0400

Depends on what you mean by "generation". As you shoot a slide of your back
yard on a sunny day get the stuff back if its e6 you'd get it back perhaps
in two hours if its Kodachrome perhaps 2 days. Its a sunny day again you go
out and check it out after just looking at your slides on your light table.
Or maybe you've even projected them.
What you see is a leap became your back yard does not look like that.
If it was any Fuji film at all even Astia the colors have been hyped up.
If it was Kodachrome the skies when magenta. And so on. Its not the same.
Its a slide.
-  you see those slides and you go "that's the picture" then when you make a
print you match the slide. You've just gotten used to looking at the slide
thinking that's the picture. In reality you've just let it become the
picture.
Well when I make a print I don't match the slide. I match what I recal the
scene really looked like and the way the slide looks is going to influence
me you cant deny human nature..

After shooting color neg film which I get back in 30 minutes uncut I'd have
cut them up put them in a page and made a contact sheet within the hour at
my rental lab in Portland.
What it looks like on that contact sheet I make even closer to the way any
slide film I'd  have shot would have. As I can control it.
So that's my reference when I make a print.
A reference is a mixed bag because they are often wrong.
They need to have modifiers.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com