Subject: [Leica] doing it for real
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 13:48:44 -0700
References: <83F6E465236549968291D19D65F6C199@Bigguy> <200905061323.BOF29218@rg4.comporium.net> <483345F1-ACDC-4CC1-81D7-E307543186CC@charter.net> <4A01C6AC.2080704@tele2.fr> <26D26E71-75C1-44DF-B658-002ED2BFF613@charter.net> <3cad89990905061953y27b0c474j1f2a9785c3bbecb1@mail.gmail.com> <6.2.1.2.2.20090507102005.02d2d5b8@pop.med.cornell.edu> <36310349-5606-4D72-A856-3CBA4EEBC597@cox.net> <6.2.1.2.2.20090507110513.02cb8ad8@pop.med.cornell.edu>

The role of a news service, in whatever media, is not necessarily
pedagogic. If anything, there is tendency to support and reinforce
preexisting values and accepted frames of reference.
At a recent round table at USC's Annenberg School for Communications
(henceforth ASC), concern was expressed over a paper addressing Al
Jazeera's autonomy, given who the owner/patron is. For me, it was a
curious question, given that we were sitting in an Annenberg funded
facility.
It is a questionable leap of faith when one presumes that the
presentation of "news" is a neutral activity.
S.d.

On May 7, 2009, at 8:12 AM, Chris Saganich wrote:

> Correct although I never to meant to imply I thought this is
> static, one achieves new perspective through interaction in the
> world and then subsequently must reinterpret what they think.
> Having an open or positive mindset allows this but many people have
> fixed mindsets and are not open to new perspectives.  They are static.
>
> At 10:36 AM 5/7/2009, you wrote:
>
>> On May 7, 2009, at 7:23 AM, Chris Saganich wrote:
>>
>>> Reading and watching is a state.  The interpretation of what you
>>> read and watch is the action.  A person can read and watch
>>> everything that exists and will only interpret within their
>>> perspective.  How can an interpretation be made outside your
>>> perspective?  I believe therefore one would be hard-pressed to come
>>> up with an example of a person making an interpretation outside what
>>> they already think.
>>
>> at the core I agree with you Chris, but things are not static... if
>> one is open to learning,
>>
>> once that is accomplished, a person may be capable of new
>> interpretations...
>>
>> so one has to be open to learning, and find productive avenues to
>> accomplish that....
>>
>> Steve

>>> Chris Saganich MS, CPH
>>> Senior Physicist, Office of Health Physics
>>> Weill Medical College of Cornell University
>>> New York Presbyterian Hospital
>>> chs2018 at med.cornell.edu
>>> http://intranet.med.cornell.edu/research/health_phys/
>>> Ph. 212.746.6964