Subject: [Leica] Filters and Filter Mounts
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:00:16 +1030

Of relevance to this thread is that a UV/IR filter is something that
Harrison & Harrison don't make.  It is a filter which removes, by optical
interference, ultra-violet and infrared light but allows the passage of
visible light.  Infrared causes colour contamination with the Leica M8 when
it comprises a large proportion of the reflected light from a subject.

Harrison and Harrison, unlike, say, Holland and Holland, my favourite "H&H"
company, also don't appear to have a web presence, which makes them much
harder to access outside the US.  But I do remember that they are located on
"Thunderbolt Drive", someplace in the US, which I thought was a very
excellent name for a street.

In 1999 I ordered some filters from them and when they arrived (in Prague,
after a lengthy transit) I found that they were uncoated.  They might be
flat, but without good multicoating, a filter is just an optical millstone
around the neck of the kind of modern lenses, which all have excellent
multicoating, that I use.  Maybe they are coated now or maybe I ordered from
the wrong range, but I didn't go back.

If it can't be a leica UV/IR filter, I like the B+W MRC and the Heliopan
SH-PMC filters.

Marty