Subject: [Leica] looking for stock photos
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:37:46 +1030

That's a bottlenose dolphin, not one of the much rarer species they are
looking for.

Getting good shots of marine mammals that spend their entire lives at sea is
hard.  Putting in the work to get a good shot of a rare cetacean and then
sending it to someone who "doesn't pay very much" is an unlikely scenario.

Once when getting into a boat in Coffin Bay here in South Australia, a
bottlenose dolphin raced up behind me, surfaced and blew a huge gust of
exhaled air at me through its blowhole.  Seeing the bow wave approaching - I
had no idea what was under it except that it was large - I got into the boat
quickly enough to have my colleagues laughing so hard that they had to sit
down and to have the story immortalised and re-told whenever anyone mentions
dolphins.  I say never trust an animal that smiles that much.

Marty