Subject: [Leica] Recoating Old Leica Glass?
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 16:09:43 +1030

I really like their coating.  I have seen and used lenses recoated by Focal
Point and a slew of no-longer in business places like Arax (Ukraine - no
longer offering this service), fpointinc (Melbourne) and the university of
Queensland Microscope Department (now part of the Centre for Microscopy and
Microanalysis but no longer with a recoating capability).

The DR Summicron I had which was recoated by Focal point improved enormously
over the same lens after a CLA but with the old coating.  Better
microcontrast, less flare.  The only possible downside is that a savvy
collector may spot it if you ever try to sell it as a collectible.

I also had a collapsible Summicron in which every element had been
multi-coated.  It was enormously better than any other seven-element
Summicron I have used, but I did not get a chance to use it before it was
recoated, so I had no direct pre- and post-recoating experience with that
lens.

It's a good way to get improved performance while retaining a vintage
look in a variety of situations where vintage lenses tend to suffer in
comparison to modern ones.

Marty