Subject: [Leica] Insights about handling a delicate photo situation
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:05:52 -0700

On Mar 15, 2009, at 12:02 PM, Steve Barbour wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2009, at 11:19 AM, Howard Ritter wrote:
>
>> Susan--
>>
>> As a hospice medical director as well as a medical oncologist, my
>> sense is that many, probably most, patients at the end of life, and
>> their families, would respond very favorably to an offer on your
>> part to document parts of this phase of their and their families'
>> lives. Later, while sharing the resulting images with them, express
>> satisfaction with the result and ask if they'd be willing to let
>> you post some of the best images to a group of serious (and
>> private) fellow photography enthusiasts. I suspect that if you
>> approach them this way, you'd get consent more often than not. My
>> inclination is to agree with Nathan that formal, written permission
>> would be unnecessary, and asking for it might put the wrong tone on
>> the situation.
>
> very true, but I wonder if HIPAA may apply to these people/
> patients...if so get a formal signed release as well...
>

>> I think it's a great idea. I can't tell you how many times I've
>> been on the verge of broaching this idea to one or another of my
>> own patients. Maybe now!
>>
>> Ask Steve Barbour how he explains his aims to his patients and
>> their parents.
>
> I'd be very happy to...let me tend to a couple of things and I will
> come back to this later,

By the time  I suggest taking photos of a child in the hospital, and I
ask the patient/and family for permission,  I am taking care of the
patient, often for a very long time...sometimes the family even asks
me, well before I can ask them...

I explain that I see something special about the patients look,
behavior, courage, dignity that I would like to capture/celebrate, for
them and for me...and in preparing my book I asked them for the right
to use the photo in my book...

I never wanted to be famous... seen here....
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/186890

in several cases the family approached me, asking that I take photos,
asking about the book, saying openly that they were not sure that
their child was going to survive, saying with that in mind, that they
wanted to celebrate their child...

These were always profoundly touching, heart rending experiences...

I always got verbal and written permision from the patient if
possible, and from the family...even with all that, HIPAA issues can
surface from any direction, often bringing a particular mix of very
important, yet often naive, annoying, and distracting elements...

These issues can make this area of photography, at once, intensely
challenging, rewarding, moving, and troubling...

Steve