Subject: [Leica] Insights about handling a delicate photo situation
From: scoutfinch at chartermi.net (Susan Ryan)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:48:33 -0400

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping the group can give me some thought about how to handle a
potentially touchy situation. I am a hospice volunteer. From
experiences in my own life, I think there might be interest by hospice
clients and family members for donated photo services. I'm thinking
things such as grandparents finishing projects to be given to
grandchildren, spending time with family members, portraits, or
whatever the person involved would like to document. I'm thinking I
would give the client a copy of the files on a disc and they could do
with them what they liked. While I wouldn't use these photos for any
personal gain, I can envision wanting to post to the LUG, etc., if I
had one I liked, needed help with, etc. I am quite concerned about
privacy liability. I'm also afraid if I insist on model releases
before taking a single photo people will assume I have personal
motives for taking the photos to begin with. I was thinking maybe it
would be safe enough to ask permission to post or show their photos
and if they agree I would have them sign a model release. If they do
not like the idea I would keep a record of that and keep those files
in a "do not post" folder. Do you have any advice about how you would
handle this? Should I abandon the idea because the can of worms is
just too big to open?

Thanks in advance.

Sue

Replies: Reply from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] Insights about handling a delicate photo situation)