Subject: [Leica] Insights about handling a delicate photo situation
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:19:08 -0400

Susan--

As a hospice medical director as well as a medical oncologist, my
sense is that many, probably most, patients at the end of life, and
their families, would respond very favorably to an offer on your part
to document parts of this phase of their and their families' lives.
Later, while sharing the resulting images with them, express
satisfaction with the result and ask if they'd be willing to let you
post some of the best images to a group of serious (and private)
fellow photography enthusiasts. I suspect that if you approach them
this way, you'd get consent more often than not. My inclination is to
agree with Nathan that formal, written permission would be
unnecessary, and asking for it might put the wrong tone on the
situation.

I think it's a great idea. I can't tell you how many times I've been
on the verge of broaching this idea to one or another of my own
patients. Maybe now!

Ask Steve Barbour how he explains his aims to his patients and their
parents.

--howard