Subject: [Leica] Shoot the moon
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 23:37:32 -0800

There was a gorgeous full moon tonight. I set up a tripod and my EM-1
Mark II on my front porch and mounted my longest lens, a 1970s Vivitar
T-4 mount 300mm f/5.5.

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/53546899144/in/dateposted-public/>
This is cropped to 100% and sharpened by eye to my taste.

Not too bad for a 1970s lens I picked up for pocket change. It is decent
at f/8 and very good at f/11. It has a T4 Nikon mount, to which I added
a micro 4/3 adapter. Also helping was a very nice "pre-owned" Manfrotto
pan/tilt head that I found at a camera store sale last week. Separate
knobs to tighten down pitch, roll, and yaw. Nice.

Focusing was very difficult because the magnified moon's image was too
bright even with the "live view boost" turned off.? And I'm not sure
about using image stabilization on an imperfect tripod. Officially,
we're supposed to turn IS off, but I've read that sometimes it helps,
anyway.? I left it on "I.S. Auto." I took many shots with the 12 second
self-timer. Some were good, some were a little blurry.? This one was the
best.

I'll have to try this again on a quarter or crescent moon when there are
long shadows.

Anyway, enjoy.
--Peter

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Shoot the moon)