Subject: [Leica] Minimalist eclipse photography
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:18:59 -0700

My cousin lives in Austin. This gave us a good excuse to visit for the
total solar eclipse Monday. It was my second total eclipse. My primary
objective was to experience it, not to photograph. But then I thought,
"how can I not?" So I decided to preset the camera for a middle corona
exposure during totality, pre-focus manually, tape the focus ring in
place, and take a few casual shots.? I used my Olympus E-M1 Mark II and
the "Plastic Fantastic" 40-150 f/4-5.6 lens. That's 300mm in full-frame
terms. No tripod--I relied on image stabilization. No messing with the
camera once totality started.

The weather in Austin was very iffy. So we headed north and west, using
a NY Times page that gave hourly cloudiness predictions. An "Eclipse
App" proved even better, and we changed our destination at the last
minute, just like real eclipse chasers. We ended up in the little town
of Meridian, TX. We were treated to clear skies around the sun
throughout totality.

I took a couple of shots of the partial phase. I didn't have a solar
filter, so I just shot through a spare pair of eclipse glasses. Crude,
but effective.

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/53643757193/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/53643885514/in/dateposted-public/>

And then... totality! My minimalist setup actually captured hints of the
red solar prominences. I messed with post-processing exposure and
contrast to show various parts of the corona.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/53643885519/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/53643547456/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/53642665787/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/53643547466/in/dateposted-public/>

We enjoyed the town, too, with its ornate county courthouse.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/53643757208/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/53643757243/in/dateposted-public/>

Of course, I could have done better with a longer lens or telescope, a
tripod, an equatorial mount, and exposure bracketing sequences. But that
would have taken up much more time and concentration, which I wanted to
devote to viewing the eclipse. So, "I did it my way."

Click or double click on photos to enlarge and shrink. Enjoy!
--Peter

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Minimalist eclipse photography)
Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Minimalist eclipse photography)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Minimalist eclipse photography)