Subject: [Leica] Shout out to SonC and others for software suggestions.
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 23:27:16 -0400

Silver Efex Pro is great, too. I suggested Topaz just because Don had just
bought the Topaz software bundle for the sharpening and noise reduction
stuff, so I wanted to encourage him to try the B&W conversion software, too.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

https://chriscrawfordphoto.com  My portfolio

https://crawfordphotoschool.com Learn From Me

?On 8/4/22, 10:23 PM, "LUG on behalf of Jayanand Govindaraj via LUG"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
lug at leica-users.org> wrote:

    So does Silver Efex Pro, which I have been using since it hit the market
    around 15-20 years ago. You can actually change acuity, contrast and
    brightness for Highlights, Midtones and Shadows independently, as well as
    mask (U-Point) for localized adjustments. I continue using the Nik Suite
    out of sheer familiarity, coupled with high inertia for learning another
    complicated bit of software for no real reason other than Internet
chatter.

    Recently, however, I have used Luminar as well, its AI works very well on
    certain types of images, and their preset library is impressively huge,
    giving a multitude of starting points. The B&W module there is based on
    Tonality, which I am told has been a standard for B&W conversion on Apple
    systems. Luminar is a creation of the same group that developed the Nik
    Suite, who left Nik post Google's purchase of the suite, so that it is
not
    surprising that it is so usable. I have never seriously tried it out,
    though.

    I use Topaz Gigapixel, Denoise and Sharpen as part of my everyday toolkit
    nowadays, and they are very good. Another software program that I have
    found very effective for taming High ISO images is DXO PureRaw, but it
does
    introduce an additional independent step, between the RAW capture and RAW
    converter, in the workflow.

    Cheers
    Jayanand

    On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 5:15 AM Christopher Crawford <
    chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com> wrote:

    > Don,
    >
    > I don't know if you ever convert your color digital images to B&W; but
if
    > you do, the Topaz B&W plugin is one of the best ways I have found to
get
    > good B&W from digital. Most conversions are too flat in the midtones,
and
    > simply increasing contrast means losing highlight and shadow detail.
The