Subject: [Leica] Shout out to SonC and others for software suggestions.
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 16:35:01 -0500

Many on this list have been quietly promoting Topaz labs products.  SonC
showed me what their products could do on a motion blurred image which
convinced me of their value.  I waited until there was a bundle sale and
just acquired the bundle.

So, money very well spent and now suggestions.  The denoise works extremely
well,  owning 2.8, 3.5, or 5.6 lenses is not a limiting factor on newer
cameras that go up over 50,000iso.  The noise can be drastically reduced
without sacrificing image detail.  A little motion blur can also be worked
with effectively.  Basically, if a lens is good but slow you have a nice
light package that will work in almost any light.

This also makes the use of my M9 practical again as I have been fighting no
dof in dark places to try to keep shutter speeds up.  Now, the AI programs
will mostly eliminate motion blur and I can get the dof I believe I want.

So, thank you to all those on the list who have been suggesting better
software.  Also, I believe this will work on scanned film so with a
convoluted work system you could shoot HP5, scan it in, de noise the grain,
then output to a large format "negative" and contact print on real
emulsions.

--
Don
don.dory at gmail.com