Subject: [Leica] Mirrorless and dust
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 07:41:40 +0530

The Z9 has a sensor cover, which is very effective, but the Z6/6II and
Z7/7II do not. They are more prone to dust than DSLRs, because of the huge
throat and the fact that the sensor is right up near the lens mount, but
that also makes cleaning the sensor dead easy - remember there is no mirror
to move out of the way, either. I would not worry about it, and use the
normal best practice of keeping lens changes to the minimum, and to keep
the camera pointing downwards when doing so. Programming the built in
sensor cleaning to activate a cycle every time when the camera is switched
off also helps.

I have found no issues with the EVF of the Z7, which I have been using
since it was released.. The Z9, of course, because it has no mechanical
shutter, is in a class of its own, but it is not light and compact by any
definition.

Nikon mirrorless is definitely a worthwhile switch because of the
breathtaking quality of the Z lenses more than anything else - except for
one F mount lens, the AFS 70-200mm FL, which holds its own against its Z
mount counterpart, every other Z lens outperforms its F mount counterparts
by some margin. IMHO, the Z mount "S" Line lenses are among the best lenses
I have ever used on any system, on any parameter and any focal length,
whether we are talking about zooms or primes.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Jayanand

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 5:31 AM Aram Langhans via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org>