Subject: [Leica] James Nachtwey on Ukraine
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 23:52:54 +0100

Absolutely, no wonder you're proud of him, Nathan. Unfortunately, it
appears that a significant number of the soldiers of the Russian army
are - to put it simply - utter barbarians, led by an ogre. The problem
is that it won't go away.

Putin may be willing to keep throwing gullible cannon fodder, leavened
with his Wagner barbarians, at the front lines in the hope he will win
the resulting war of attrition, or, in desperation, use a small tactical
nuke to give himself momentum. That said, this could trigger an uprising
internally, not to mention a problem for NATO. After all the Russian
people have had Putin in charge for 23 years, and with the eternal power
dynamics of humanity, there are probably a lot more quiet dissenters in
his circle than there used to be. I presume that there are a few Von
Stauffenbergs there now as Hitler only ruled for 11 years before the
assassination attempt. One can only hope someone is good with a briefcase...

Douglas