Subject: [Leica] Polaroid SX-70 Manipulations #1
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 23:00:43 -0400

No. The only film that it ever worked on was the old Polaroid SX-70 that was
discontinued some time in the late 1990s. It never worked on Polaroid 600 or
Spectra, or on any of Fuji's instant films. Doesn't work on the new Polaroid
materials made today either. The old Polaroid materials allowed a lot of
experimental work.

Something else that you could do with the old Polaroid materials was
emulsion lifts. This worked on the type 669 Peel-Apart film. The print would
be placed in a tray of hot water, then moved to a tray of cold water. This
softened the emulsion then broke it loose from the plastic backing. You
could then slide apiece of drawing paper under the floating emulsion. The
emulsion would be wrinkled and could be manipulated before it dried. Once
dry, it stuck to the new paper. Here's an example:

https://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?product=1816

Image Transfers were another thing that worked with the peel-apart films.
With this technique, you took a piece of drawing paper and soaked it in
water for a few minutes, then blotted it so it was damp but not wet on the
surface. You would take a picture with the peel apart film. Normally, you
pulled the film from the camera and waited 90 seconds to peel it apart. When
doing a transfer, you'd pull it apart immediately then quickly put the
'negative' sheet face down on the damp drawing paper. A rubber roller was
used to push it flat on the paper. You then waited the 90 seconds before
peeling the negative sheet off. The image would be transferred to the
drawing paper. Because regular paper does not have the gelatin receiving
layer that the Polaroid print material has, the image would look soft, with
muted color. Here's one:

https://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?product=1835

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

https://chriscrawfordphoto.com  My portfolio

https://crawfordphotoschool.com Learn From Me

?On 3/22/22, 10:11 PM, "LUG on behalf of Jayanand Govindaraj via LUG"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
lug at leica-users.org> wrote:

    I like this. Never have used Polaroids. Can this be replicated on a Fuji
    Instax?

    Cheers
    Jayanand

    On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 3:48 AM Christopher Crawford <
    chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com> wrote:

    > Last night I scanned a bunch of experimental photographs that I made on
    > Polaroid film when I was an art student in the late 1990s. The old
Polaroid