Subject: [Leica] My Polaroid SX-70 Project
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 08:34:57 -0400

A lot of people have asked me why I have been shooting nearly everything
with Polaroid for the last several months.

At the beginning of April, 2022 I decided to buy a forty-four year old
Polaroid SX-70 camera. I had originally intended to just play around with it
for fun; but I began to wonder if it would be possible to use the SX-70 for
serious documentary photography and fine art photography, despite the
limitations imposed by a camera that has a non-interchangeable lens, doesn't
allow fully manual exposure control, and uses a film with a very high
contrast rendering compared to digital cameras and conventional color films.
It has been a challenge!

As most of you know, for nearly thirty years, I have been working on a
long-term documentary project centered on my home state of Indiana in the
American Midwest. This year, I am using the Polaroid camera for nearly all
of my continuing work on these projects.

I've built a website explaining the project in more details, with galleries
of the nearly 300 photos I have made so far (well, the ones that came out
good!).

https://sx70project.com

--

Chris Crawford