Subject: [Leica] Hard drive advice?
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 05:50:38 -0400

My friend, the Linux HDD guru [yes, he really is a guru - he writes device
drivers for the disk manufactures under contract] , swears by WD Ultrastar
14TB (or so) 3.5? drives. I?ve had lots of failures of both Seagate (piece
of cr*p) 3.5? HDDs and run-of-the-mill mainstream WD 3.5? HDDs over the
years. My one and only Ultrastar 14TB HDD hasn?t failed yet.

For those of you old enough, Ultrastar HDDs originated at IBM in 1994 as
Deskstar. We use to semi-jokingly call them FireStars because the IBM
version ran hot. These are better quality HDDs.

Good Luck,
Spencer

PS. For those of you who has ever received a warranty?ed HDD by mail from
any manufacturer (or any HDD shipped to you for any reason), don?t use them
for anything important.

I just put mine warranty replacement drives in the pile of HDDs which are
probably bad. They are mostly warranty returned drives in the first place
AND  likely been dropped in shipping to you. Spinning rust drives do not
like being dropped.