Subject: [Leica] Leica Elmar 90mm f4 LTM
From: smithjeffery at mac.com (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 20:07:18 -0700
References: <CADjf=X+MCRh7fT-10G-taZ+Ff7We1ji0m4TsuJ+0JhLjeaKZNQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ2hH6ASQ-ia0TDJ1tomaCc1Yz4OC7OrpEd7posA+Zvj+A@mail.gmail.com> <F1CE6B5F-00DE-42FB-B941-76EB024B97A3@gmail.com> <7E20DE71-8DEC-43B8-8FA5-2CAAE59BB6EC@mac.com> <31E6E750-6E31-4234-B4A7-0FB26711FC83@gmail.com> <1C92EA3B-08E3-4789-BF4A-FCEC35EA22E9@mac.com> <CAH1UNJ2JoasCAWNzTfrhhZv-00CwX1KwsjuLxoyBQui4uCVhuA@mail.gmail.com>

Hi Jayanand,

Actually it's the process. I put the LTM lenses on Canon 7s bodies, and I do
stand development with Rodinal for 120 minutes when other developers would
take only 10 minutes. I like B&W from the 1940s to 1970s, so I like using
the same equipment that was used then as well. I don't want anything sharper
than HCB or Winogrand had. And, when it was still available, I liked 777
developer, as scummy as it could look in the bottle.

It's not all that strange. Players in baroque orchestras play on valveless
horns, and there are CDs of piano music played on Clara Schumann's piano. If
I sold my work, I'd probably have a much different perspective, especially
if sharp was expected. With every man, woman, and child in advanced
countries carrying a smart phone around, anyone can take a pretty good photo
in color, in focus, and better looking than film. I want to do it the old
way, the way I learned it in the 60s.

I *do* have my limits. I won't shoot animals for food. I'd rather have beef
than deer. And I won't develop any film in coffee.

Jeffery (the Dinosaur) :-)