Subject: [Leica] Leica Elmar 90mm f4 LTM
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 16:49:26 -1000

I have one that has a serial number below 100,000, which makes it about as
old as a Leica lens can be.... ( before 1931.. 90 years old)

It is, when mounted with the appropriate adapter and used on an M9,? almost
as sharp in the center as a 90 Elmarit ( the thin, Modern M one).? It is
quite soft as you head towards the corners.? The Elmarit is not.

I tested it against the later reincarnations, a silver 60's model, and did
not find a significant difference.

It is NOT the clinical look of the 90AA nor the 90 Summarit.

I am going to test the 90's I have to find their strengths and weaknesses.?
I will add it to my list of lenses.

It will take a while to test, but I will state the results here....

BTW, I have a 90 ELmar-C which sold for about the same price as the LTM
model. It is quite good, but if you are looking to get the "special" look,
skip the C.

LTM models and M models differ 10% in price..... and you do not need an
adapter if you are using it on an M camera.? Why an LTM model?? LTM camera?

If you decide on any older Leica lens, check it for haze... a common remnant
of outgassing of the lubricant originally used.? Common problem with
lenses through the 70's.

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at Gmail.com