Subject: [Leica] Saturday Sign can you beat this?
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 15:49:28 +0100

On 24/04/2021 06:53, Aram Langhans via LUG wrote:
> The price of gas in Bridgeport, California.? Does anyone in the USA
> have a higher gas price they can show?
>
> California Gas Prices (leica-users.org)
> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/s/California+Gas+Prices.jpg.html>
>
> Aram

Aram,
That's cheap compared to here in Europe. USD5.599 per gallon is the
equivalent of ?1.31 per litre assuming a US/Euro exchange rate of 1.21
and that there are still 3.7548 litres to the US gallon.
Here in Dublin, I filled my wife's car yesterday at a litre price of
?1.498. You have a bit to go in the US!
Of course, most cars here in Europe are smaller engined, so don't use as
much fuel. My own is a 2.0 litre diesel, but, luckily, my wife's Fiesta
is only a small petrol town car of 1.2 litre and gets around 40 miles to
a US gallon.
It's way easier to park too on the smaller streets here, so guess which
car I prefer to use...

With cars evolving so fast, and our mileage dropping like a stone with
the pandemic induced change in shopping habits, I plan to upgrade to
electric (or whatever) in five to six years. Normally, over my first 35
years of motoring, I used to change every three years, then it slipped
to four, but I've had my current ones for seven years without using them
much, so I'll keep them until they drop, or there's a significant
financial penalty for using them.

It's a bit like camera lenses, I'm making do, rather than chasing an
evanescent perfection. Speaking of camera lenses, I saw an ad for Leica
in the "How To Spend It" section of the Financial Times last week.

Douglas