Subject: [Leica] Winter shore
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 21:20:42 +0100

Thanks Nathan,

This was due to a challenge from someone on the Leica III users on FB. The
challenge was to use the 90 elmar.

I decided to try something else as well, down-rating Fomapan 400 to EI 250.
Fomapan 400 isn't really anywhere near EI 400, not even Foma's own
technical sheets show it getting much better than 250, 320 max. So since
the day was contrasty, I shot at 250 and pulled back a bit on development,
HC-110 1:47 for 7.5 minutes.

This week I've done the same (EI 250) but used my normal developer, Xtol.
The negatives look good, but I haven't scanned them yet.

Tri-X and even somewhat HP5+ have become so much more expensive. Tri-X
costs 3x's as much, HP5+ 2x's as much as Fomapan. I burn through a fair
amount of film in my old age, so I've been using Fomapan 400. At 400 it
will lose some shadow detail, which you don't always notice in the drab
winters of the north, but it is still ok. For high contrast scenes I would
definitely shoot it at a lower EI. The development time doesn't really need
to vary much from the published times, since it doesn't make it to 400
anyway.

I'll scan some Xtol developed frames tomorrow.

Thanks again

Daniel