Subject: [Leica] All shot up
From: reid at mejac.carlsbad.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 08:26:36 -0800

We had been isolated for many weeks, not leaving the house nor having
any visitors to the house. Grocery deliveries were left on the front
porch; I never saw any of the delivery people.

We arranged to get the first dose of vaccine at a pharmacy on February
4. That was the first time out of the house for either of us during
2021. We drove to the pharmacy, filled out the paperwork, received our
shots of Moderna, and waited the required half hour afterwards. We
walked out of the pharmacy and drove home. By the morning of February 11
we realized that the very unpleasant symptoms we were experiencing were
not side effects but were some disease. On February 15 I arranged a
drive-through swab test, and it was positive. My wife got her test the
next day, also positive.

We were very careful in the pharmacy, but obviously not careful enough.
My current belief is that the pens the pharmacist handed us to sign the
forms were contaminated, and that somehow during the 30-second interval
between handling the pen and sanitizing our hands, we both managed to
snag some virus on some part of our bodies.

There was no possibility of us having been exposed anywhere else,
because we had had no other contact with people or with items recently
handled by other people. And it hit us both at the same time. The county
contact tracer said that she has seen a lot of this phenomenon, and
commented "vaccination centers are becoming superspreader centers".

We did leave the house again on February 17 to receive the antibody
infusions, but since at that time we were known to be positive, the
medical staff took tremendous precautions escorting us from the car to
the infusion rooms and then back to the car afterwards.

Replies: Reply from hlritter at bex.net (Howard L Ritter Jr) ([Leica] All shot up)
Message from reid at mejac.carlsbad.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] All shot up)
Message from hlritter at bex.net (Howard L Ritter Jr) ([Leica] All shot up)