Subject: [Leica] Alone...
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 04:26:49 -0500

Abandoned houses with stuff left in them are very common in the rural areas
of the United States, even in fairly densely populated states like Indiana.
I've photographed a lot of them over the years, and seen some fascinating
things left behind.

A wedding dress hanging in the attic of an abandoned farmhouse:
https://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?product=37

A house full of dolls and other stuff, including old family photos:
https://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-results.php?category=5

I can't imagine why people leave stuff like this behind. I can understand
moving to a different home; people move for all sorts of reasons, but why
not take your possessions, and why leave the house to rot instead of selling
it? I don't have answers. The funny thing about the two places I linked
above is that both were on the edge of Fort Wayne, Indiana's second largest
city with 275,000 people. They weren't even in remote out of the way places!
There's now a gas station where the wedding dress house once stood, and the
doll house's location is surrounded by new housing developments (the house
itself has been demolished).

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Like My Work on Facebook

?On 2/9/21, 4:12 AM, "LUG on behalf of Philippe via LUG"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
lug at leica-users.org> wrote:

    Do they really leave most of their stuff to rot when they leave?

    We also have unoccupied decaying houses, but the authorities have the
power to have them pulled down if they are deemed to be dangerous, and the
bill is charged onto the owner.

    Amities

    Philippe

    > Le 9 f?vr. 2021 ? 06:52, Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu> a
?crit :

    > You can see similar abandoned houses in the Spanish countryside. Young
people do not want to live in a village and live the hard life of farming,
so they move to the  cities. Over time, there are not enough children to
keep the village school open, and a development similar to what Sonny
describes takes place. In Spain, the pace of this change has been extremely
rapid, leading to a phenomenon called ?La Espa?a vac?a? or ?the empty
Spain?.

    > In smaller or more densely populated countries such abandoned
properties would be re-purposed since land is valuable; I never saw such
places in the Netherlands or Switzerland. But Spain is big and its 47
million people are heavily concentrated in the cities, so the countryside is
extremely sparsely populated, and it shows.

<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>