Subject: [Leica] Garret Island House C. 1750-60
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 10:53:53 -0600

The brick pile is probably the missing chimney.   Mortar was notoriously
weak in the day as cement was precious and lime was cheap.  As long as the
high lime mortar was protected then it worked(say painted with a oil paint)
but exposed to the weather it does and weakens quickly.   The upside is
that cleaning the mortar is very easy and the bricks recycle easily.