Subject: [Leica] IMG : Eyes of India
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 19:51:29 +0000

Nice shot, Philippe. What's the story on the bottle opener?
Jayanand. Never having been to India, the number of people living there
makes my poor brain hurt. The size of the population seems incredible to
us living on a green rock beside Britain. It also always reminds me of
this Flann O'Brien story...

Keats and Chapman were entrusted by the British government with a secret
mission which involved a trip to India. A man-of-war awaited them at a
British port. Leaving their lodgings at dawn, they were driven at a
furious pace to the point of embarkation. When, about to rush on board,
they encountered at the dockside a mutual friend, one Mr Childs, who
chanced to be there on business connected with his calling of wine
importer. Perfunctory and very hasty courtesies were exchanged; Keats
and Chapman then rushed on board the man-of-war, which instantly weighed
anchor. The trip to India was made in the fastest time then heard of,
and as soon as the ship had come to anchor in Bombay harbour, the two
friends were whisked to land in a wherry. Knowing that time was of the
essence of their mission, they hastened from the docks into the
neighbouring streets, and on turning a corner, whom should they see only -
Mr Childs? No.
Just a lot of Indians, complete strangers.
'Big world,' Keats remarked

Douglas