Subject: [Leica] photokina is no more
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 01:49:08 +0000

The Irish photography show seems to have folded its tents too - not that
I've ever gone to see it. But, being such a small country, our main
event for seeing cars and luxury consumer goods - even cameras - was
always the annual Spring Show at the RDS which ended about 20 odd years
ago.

When I was a kid of 15, I went there and got a lift in the James Bond
Aston Martin DB5 sitting in the front passenger ejector seat. The Aston
dealer for Ireland (Crawfords of Dublin) had it over on its stand to
promote the brand. Just as the show was closing for the day, and they
had started the car to take back to the garage for overnight storage,
the heavens opened, so I managed to blag a lift to a bus stop from the
exhibition stand.? I don't think he got it out of second gear. Oh, for a
phone camera at the time!

If I win the Lotto, I'm going to buy a DB5

Douglas