Subject: [Leica] Suggestions for 35mm B/W neg scanner?
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 02:57:33 -0400

Nathan,

Vuescan is pretty much a necessity for the Nikon scanners, so Tina was right
to recommend it for the LS-5000ED. Nikon's scanning software, Nikon Scan,
does not work on Intel Macs and only works on Windows 10 if you jump through
some hacking hoops (and I think this is true with windows7 and 8 as well).

Even when it was new, Nikon Scan sucked. It was slow and buggy and often
crashed. I bought my Nikon 8000ED scanner 19 years ago and bought Vuescan
shortly after because Nikon scan was so awful. Nikon Scan's interface was
nicer then Vuescan's, but the stability and speed of Vuescan made it worth
the inconvenience.

With a newer computer, Vuescan is pretty much the only game in town.
Silverfast used to make a version for the Nikon scanners (and maybe still
offer it, I don't know), but it was incredibly overpriced ($700 for the
version needed for my scanner!) and from what I've heard it was buggy too.

I haven't used the Epson scanner you have, but I recently bought an Epson
V600 for scanning prints. Epson's software works fine for it and is easier
to use then Vuescan.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Like My Work on Facebook

?On 9/13/20, 1:40 AM, "LUG on behalf of Nathan Wajsman"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
photo at frozenlight.eu> wrote:

    I second that recommendation. Unfortunately, it is hard to find and
expensive, so I use the cheaper option of an Epson V700 (which also lets me
scan MF film which I shoot from time to time). My only disagreement concerns
Vuescan. I have tried to like it over the years, but I find the user
interface so clunky that I have given up on it. I just use the Epson Scan
software that came with the scanner.

    Cheers,
    Nathan

    Nathan Wajsman

    Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

    YNWA

    "I?m not arguing, I?m just explaining why I?m right"

<http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography/3B49552F-90A0-4D0A-A11D-2175C937AA91/Tina+Manley.html>