Subject: [Leica] Birds in the Bush
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 08:15:59 -0400

Fort Wayne actually has a lot of wildlife. Red squirrels, black squirrels,
raccoons, opossums, chipmunks, robins, toads, tree frogs, sparrows,
cardinals, crows, groundhogs, garter snakes, and rabbits are all extremely
common in the city. In recent years, large numbers of red tailed hawks and
peregrine falcons have moved in, too. A few days ago, my son and I counted
more than 50 hawks circling in the sky above our neighborhood. We live in
the city! Deer have been coming into the city in large numbers in the last
few years, too.

All of the animals I have mentioned, except for the deer, are MORE common In
the city than they are in rural areas! Deer are badly overpopulated in rural
Indiana, which is what's pushing them into large cities like Ft. Wayne.

There is a vulture in my neighborhood, too. My cat, Sneaky, likes murdering
for fun but will not eat his kills. I've seen him on several occasions leave
a dead mouse or bird on the driveway, and then he sits and watches as the
vultures comes and eats it! It's like the vulture is saying "Thanks, cat!"
and the cat is responding "My pleasure....murder is fun, and my human slave
doesn't like cleaning up my kills anyway!" I do appreciate the vulture's
help on that!

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Like My Work on Facebook

?On 9/1/20, 7:58 AM, "LUG on behalf of Douglas Barry"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
imra at iol.ie> wrote:

    Not to shabby at all, Jayanand. The only fauna we have are native foxes,
    the odd grey squirrel which has booted out our native reds, thanks to
    carrying a disease that the greys are immune to, and rats and mice. The
    squirrels have got wily enough after experiences with the local cats,
    and stay high - one even runs along the top of my beech hedge while my
    cat inwardly fumes. Unfortunately, having a cat has minimised the bird
    life, even though they fly in and nest in the hedge - another source of
    intense frustration for our cat who has tremendous patience, if a
    complete lack of smarts. To be honest, it's the dumbest cat we've ever
    had, and comparing to my son's Siamese would be like comparing an amoeba
    to Einstein.

    On 01/09/2020 11:52, Jayanand Govindaraj via LUG wrote:
    > Instead of sparrows, we have an urban area full of pigeons...
    >
    > I jest. There are plenty of pigeons, but Chennai has plenty of
waterbodies
    > full of sea birds and migratory birds - from thousands of Greater
Flamingos
    > to the smallest prinias. Cannot really complain.
    >
    > >From my bedroom, which opens out into the Bay of Bengal, in addition
to the
    > inevitable crows and pigeons, I have often spotted Painted Storks,
    > Open-billed Storks, Spot-billed Pelicans, Cormorants, Cattle and
    > Intermediate Egrets, Sunbirds, Koel, Mynahs, Kingfishers (Common,
    > White-throated and Pied), Black Kites, Shikra and many more.
Unfortunately,
    > all a bit too small (I live on the fifth floor of a condo comfortably
above
    > the surrounding vegetation), or a bit too far away to photograph - but
good
    > to dust off the binoculars from time to time. At ground level, within
the
    > residential complex lurks two grey mongoose and young, so no doubt,
there
    > are plenty of snakes around. All in all, not too shabby in an urban
area of
    > 8-10 million people!
    >
    > http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/WIndia/PLBS/
    >
    > http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/WIndia/Vedbirds/
    >
    > Cheers
    > Jayanand
    >

    > On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 3:51 PM Douglas Barry <imra at iol.ie> wrote:
    >
    >> Good ol' Monsanto and their ilk!?? Who needs birds anyway - all that
    >> twittering noise in the mornings.
    >> I hope they've put up plenty of benches to give depressed birdwatchers
    >> somewhere to sit down and cry.
    >>
    >> Nice shot, Chris
    >>
    >> Douglas
    >>

    >> On 01/09/2020 03:00, Jayanand Govindaraj via LUG wrote:
    >>> Nice to see sparrows. They have disappeared completely from Urban
India,