Subject: [Leica] Birds in the Bush
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 16:22:17 +0530

Instead of sparrows, we have an urban area full of pigeons...

I jest. There are plenty of pigeons, but Chennai has plenty of waterbodies
full of sea birds and migratory birds - from thousands of Greater Flamingos
to the smallest prinias. Cannot really complain.

>From my bedroom, which opens out into the Bay of Bengal, in addition to the
inevitable crows and pigeons, I have often spotted Painted Storks,
Open-billed Storks, Spot-billed Pelicans, Cormorants, Cattle and
Intermediate Egrets, Sunbirds, Koel, Mynahs, Kingfishers (Common,
White-throated and Pied), Black Kites, Shikra and many more. Unfortunately,
all a bit too small (I live on the fifth floor of a condo comfortably above
the surrounding vegetation), or a bit too far away to photograph - but good
to dust off the binoculars from time to time. At ground level, within the
residential complex lurks two grey mongoose and young, so no doubt, there
are plenty of snakes around. All in all, not too shabby in an urban area of
8-10 million people!

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/WIndia/PLBS/

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/WIndia/Vedbirds/

Cheers