Subject: [Leica] A Day in May 40 Years Ago
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 20:47:01 -0700

Wow, Aram, those images bring back memories! I remember vividly the
approach of the ash cloud, appearing to boil and bubble downward, and
the ersatz sunset light on the horizon. And the dusty, never-ending mess
for weeks afterwards. Thanks for posting. I put my memories into another
post, along with a newspaper article I wrote about the experience.

I crossed the state a couple of weeks later. Rt. 2 was clear, so I went
to Seattle that way. Then it rained, and I-90 was opened. So I traveled
through the hardest hit areas, Moses Lake to Ritzville. Unbelievable.
Twenty-foot piles of ash bulldozed in parking lots like after a
blizzard. Everything appearing like a black-and-white photograph with an
occasional splash of muted color.

--Peter

Aram wrote:
 > The 40th anniversary of the eruption of Mt. St. Helens.? I can hardly
 > believe so much time has elapsed.? We lived in the small (pop 1100)
town of
 > Odessa in Eastern Washington at the time.? I was actually on a camera
club
 > field trip with the town doctor, pharmacist, and postmaster to Idaho and
 > Canada.? We were in Nelson BC when we heard of the eruption earlier
that day
 > and had to drive back through some harrowing conditions the last 40
miles or
 > so.? I have included two images of the ash cloud at about 1:30 PM on the
 > 18th that I did not take, since I was 300 hundred miles away.
 >
 > The start here:
 > http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/AM/Darkness+from+ash-4.jpg.html
 >
 > The cleanup took weeks.? The first day no one quite knew what to do.?
Was it