Subject: [Leica] RET R SOSPECT 50
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 09:59:10 -0500

Texas is an interesting place.  1973 was before the huge surge of Laotians,
Vietnamese, and Cambodians that surged into the gulf coast after the
Vietnamese war conclusion.  The Texas border was and is pretty porous with
regard to people crossing for work or visiting family on the other side
whichever side that was.  But, as hard as it is to believe Texans mostly
think of themselves as Texans. In 1973 Texas didn't even connect to the
national power grid.

In a long winded way I am trying to convey that those students might very
well have painted that flag as part of required Texas history courses.  The
issue of succession during the run up to the civil war was very
controversial: during his second term as governor Sam Houston chose to
resign rather than be part of succession.  We all have to think back to
wide spread beliefs and practices in the past and how in two to three
generations those beliefs and practices have changed.

Briefly, widespread availability of all sorts of birth control, respect for
the rights of all sexual preference, miscegnation, condemnation of
misanthropy, norming of disabilities in public, respect and teaching of
alternative histories that elevate and respect the narratives and
perspective of minority communities.

Remembering as this image forces us to is why we record things.  Times and
attitudes change and without documentation we forget.