Subject: [Leica] colors, screens, iMacs, laptops, and such
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 16:52:03 -0800

I have never seen any computer display costing less than $1500 (just for
the display) that came from the manufacturer with anything close to
proper color calibration.

I have never seen any laptop from any manufacturer whose color rendition
is good enough that I would use it for serious editing of color
photographs or producing color-calibrated InDesign files for printing.
The display hardware used in laptops is just not good enough. Maybe
someday Eizo will make a laptop, but today they don't.

I have done a lot of critical color work in my life, including making
museum-grade prints (of other people's pictures), making 10-foot by
20-foot color prints for trade shows, producing corporate annual reports
for a large cosmetics company, restoring faded prints of historically
important images, and taking pictures of my family. If you want the
image that you see on your screen to look the same on someone else's
screen, or look the same when printed on paper, then all of the devices
involved need to be color calibrated. Service bureaus owning machines
that can make 10-foot by 20-foot prints want print files with managed
color.

This article in Photography Life, about 4 or 5 years old, is the best
introduction I know of to the issue:

https://photographylife.com/the-basics-of-monitor-calibration

and, unlike most things you see online, its comment section is mostly
worth reading.

This iMac-specific article from mid-2018 goes into specific detail about
calibrating iMacs:
https://photographylife.com/how-to-calibrate-imac-and-imac-pro-displays

I am typing this email on an iMac Retina 5K (known in Apple
documentation as "iMac18,3") that I have calibrated with the i1Display
Pro device using the software recommended by that author. I don't
reverify the calibration often enough, but I know I should. I also know
I should floss my teeth twice a day.

There are certain people on the LUG whose online pictures always look
off to me. Off-color, off-contrast, off-gamma, whatever. I don't take
this as evidence that they are bad photographers, I take this as
evidence that they used an uncalibrated monitor to fine-tune their
images, and that what they saw on their screen is not what I'm seeing on
mine. If I could adjust my iMac so that its display matched the display
of photographer X, I suspect that what I saw would look better. But I
can't do that. The only choices are to live with wrong colors or to get
everybody to use calibrated displays and managed colors.

Even black and white images are vulnerable to mis-calibration
distortion. The luminosity transfer function (which determines the shade
of gray displayed for a given luminosity value in the image file) can be
all over the map. Sometimes I see a monochrome image on the LUG that I
like so much that I try to reconstruct the profile that the photographer
must have been using so that I can see the same shades of gray the
photographer does. It's too complex to try to do that with color images.

Replies: Reply from jhandsfield at att.net (James Handsfield) ([Leica] colors, screens, iMacs, laptops, and such)
Reply from lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] colors, screens, iMacs, laptops, and such)