Subject: [Leica] Kodachrome Scans
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 18:46:13 -0800

Tina:? I've noticed similar color shifts on some of my old Kodachrome
slides. This 1971 shot looks across backlit Franconia Notch, New
Hampshire from the summit of Cannon Mountain (home of the now-collapsed
Old Man of the Mountains).
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at N04/5521434976>

When I scanned the slide 8 years ago, most of the darker portions of the
clouds were purplish, as was the bare rock atop the ridge. I adjusted it
as best I could back then.? I couldn't get the ridge more neutral
without messing up the rest of the picture.? I don't know if the purple
cast is how the slide originally appeared, or if it's due to aging. The
exposure I made was a compromise to fit the scene's large dynamic range
on a slide, and the brightest and darkest portions are certainly at or a
bit beyond Kodachrome's ability to do colors "right."

Here's the Old Man himself later that same day, in more reasonable lighting:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at N04/5500475409/>

Leica M2, 50 DR Summicron (ridge) and 90/2.8 Tele Elmarit (Old Man).
Kodachrome 64, IIRC. I don't remember if I used my current Canon
FS-4000, or the Nikon LS-2500 I had previously.

--Peter