Subject: [Leica] First pictures from my new Q2
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 14:49:21 -0500

I don't want to be argumentative.  Stemming from a conversation I had with
a Pentax rep about the Pentax Zoom 105 camera from maybe 15-20 years ago.
I pointed out that the camera gave the consumer way too many options for a
P&S; those options were limiting sales because talented people like Brian
looked at the menus and thought, MEH, that's too much for a camera I just
want to turn on and take pictures.  The rep told me that all the features
had regional preferences and that it cost too much to burn chips and alter
menus for different regions and culture so we all got all of it.

The new cameras are the same in that many capabilities can be incorporated
for different photographic needs.  I just acquired a new A7R IV.  The menus
might let you smoke a brisket while shooting video while storing stills on
the second card.  I have found that if you start with what you want the
camera for; you can browse the menu to find the settings that let you do
those things.  So, video, don't care and that leaves half the menus
forgotten.  Face recognition, you bet for my daughter and her husband.
Register the face and the camera will recognize them and focus on their
eyes, or if you care only the left or right eye.  Focus tracking can be set
with the AFM function that defaults to single shot but will go into
continuous focus when the main subject moves: Brian think of your new grand
daughter when she is 2 1/2.  With computers and storage so inexpensive set
the resolution up to the highest in RAW with no compression using the
widest color gamut your camera will shoot(sometimes you want a JPEG for
quick delivery)  To shorten this,  just work through the menus the first
time with an internet connection close by to search for those terms and
nomenclature that are unfamiliar to you and just go through the menu.

Last, sometimes you just have to question someone else.  I complained to
the Sony Rep that the definition of my new camera wasn't quite what I
thought it should be when shutter speeds were close to 1/focal length.  He
said that with long exposure noise reduction on that the camera would
soften the images even when shutter speeds were fastish(say 1/30).  Just a
quirk of the camera and when I turned it off the images became what i
thought they should be.

Most of us on this list have had and are still having very accomplished
lives.  Exercise that brain a little more, don't fight the menu.  Learn
what some of the smartest people in camera production have come up with
that let capture the image in true Ted Grant "WOW, click, I don't believe I
just saw that"

all the best.