Subject: [Leica] Just wondering
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 12:47:38 -0500

Many of the responses have been accurate.  I will add that the younger
cohorts in the world find long email not the thing.  Reading is not the
thing, especially longer than the original tweets.  Video is really big.

Also, I believe that as the list has moved beyond equipment and into images
that has cut into the interest.  Most of us have cameras to take images but
many have jewelry masquerading as a camera as Mark R.  frequently used to
tell us.  Many people are afraid to post their efforts even though when I
browse the LUG Gallery I find a great many excellent thought provoking
images.  Shyness to post is something that only the group can address by
encouraging  posting and commenting with more than good image.

I am not sure cost is an issue.  I get the feeling that many of the lists
members children are doing quite well financially and 10K in body and lens
would not be a huge burden.  I do believe that the quality of image coming
off cell phones has made carrying a "real" camera somewhat of a non-starter
for most.  It was logical to upgrade to a better camera when the old box
cameras were compared to a decent rangefinder or a mid-stream SLR.
However, the cell phones have very good resolution and extremely good
compensating software so for most no other camera need apply.

Another trend is the unavailability of Leica at the retail level.  I am a
few miles from the biggest camera store in Texas and yet what they have is
an old shop worn Q.  I really don't want to fly to SF, Miami, Seattle, etc
to look at a camera if it is even available to see.  Backorders are a real
problem.  That may sound like whining but if aspiring photographers can't
see and touch equipment then they will tend to go elsewhere and participate
in lists that promote that brand.

In any case, thank you Brian for supporting this list and enabling us to
share in a world wide group of different minded, different cultured people.