Subject: [Leica] more signs (2019-3)
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2019 15:48:24 -0500

Hi Philippe,  the US does have very low unemployment in most parts.
 However, the jobs tend to be in the larger urban areas.   The small towns
that used to thrive on agricultural business are hurting.   Efficient
farming practices mean that the are few jobs there.   Very efficient
transportation means few jobs in storage and movement.   Think about a
major crop in the SE states, pine trees.   Planting is largely automated.
 You need one person to look out for tens of thousands of acres until
thinning operations at say five and ten years.   Then you harvest around
thirty years.   Harvesting uses a large machine that looks like a giant
pair of scissors on a bulldozer.   A few people to trim the limbs and back
to planting trees again.

Ric can speak to the fishing fleet on his coast.   In any case the small
towns not associated with large cities are graying out.

Then you have cities like Atlanta or Austin.  Austin's unemployment rate is
just over two percent with 3000 people a month moving in and finding jobs.
 Restaurants and retail are suffering as they can't find workers at wages
that customers are willing to pay for.   We just lost two iconic
eating/drinking establishments because customers wouldn't pay $50 for
meatloaf.   (Mostly more rent and property taxes)

Income inequality is real as those people limited to a location that isn't
near a large city have few choices.   Those individuals that chose poorly
as to education also suffer as some fields jobs are extremely few.  An
example is a cousin's spouse with a PhD in French History.  He is working
as a part time non tenure track adjunct at two universities.  Excellent
references and proven track record teaching but far too many PhD's and far
too few professorships opening up.

Then you have my son in law.   PhD in economics with a thesis breaking new
ground.  Making stupid high earnings at a large tech company.

All the best.