Subject: [Leica] Editing
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 11:22:20 -0400

I kind of agree with what Peter is saying but my own way of saying it is
this:
I don?t think editing your photos is about deleting them. I think it's about
rating them.
I think the ones which are way out of focus or otherwise messed up get
deleted the rest stays.
If you want to see your best shots just hit the five star button who
whatever it is. But the rest are still there.
I think the costs of saving many thousands of images in hard drives and or
clouds is neglible.
When I go back over my shots its often a shot with few stars which I end up
picking for this use.
I call them sleepers.
Shots I never even recall taking are the star shots at that moment. Not the
ones with all the stars.
I think that?s the way the brain works or at least mine.

But I think they have to be consolidated so you can search everything with
one search and not have to search one thing and then the next.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 7/31/19, 9:38 AM, "LUG on behalf of Peter Dzwig"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of pdzwig at
summaventures.com> wrote:

    Tina,

    I read this last night and have thought about it quite a bit since. Here
    is my 2p-worth.

    The temptation with todays storage costs is to save the lot and WTH! But
    the rea question is: are you editing for yourself? for posterity? for
    work? forp...

    Once you have made that decision then do as Don suggests; but don't
    throw the others away. Make a drive called "For..." (fill in as
    appropriate)  and edit onto that in much the way that Don suggested.

    This way you have an archive PLUS your choice for whatever purpose.
    Things may appear to have a very different value in a few years time.
    Recall that your pictures of tradesmen in Iran may just have been taken
    because they were "quaint" (supply your own term if you wish), but now
    they are historical documents of some considerable documentary worth.

    To actually make the selection, follow Maggie's advice.

    Peter

    On 30/07/2019 23:35, Tina Manley via LUG wrote:
    > PESO:
    >
    > I am cleaning up old files on my Drobo and trying to consolidate
    > everything.  Years ago, I spent a couple of weeks with Maggie Steber, a
    > photo editor, who helped me edit 50,000 of my Honduran photos down to
about
    > 24.  The problem is that I have many, many more than the original
50,000
    > that she edited.  According to my LR files, I have 174,258 photos of
    > Honduras.  If I spend the rest of my life editing them I will not
finish.
    > But just glancing through, it looks like there are a lot I would
include in
    > a final edit.  So what to do?  Recently, I have been going back
editing old
    > family photos of European trips.  Should I stop that and work on
Honduras?

    --

    Dr. Peter Dzwig