Subject: [Leica] Editing
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 11:46:17 +0100

Tina,
I have twenty images in my wedding album, my son and his new wife have a
culled one thousand five hundred, together with a seven minute video,
and a twenty five minute longer version - including drone shots and
whatever else you're having yourself.
I prefer brevity to boredom.

Life is short. Here is Miroslav Holub's poem - The Fly

She sat on a willow-trunk
watching
part of the battle of Crecy,
the shouts,
the gasps,
the groans,
the tramping and the tumbling.

During the fourteenth charge
of the French cavalry
she mated
with a brown-eyed male fly
from Vadincourt.

She rubbed her legs together
as she sat on a disembowelled horse
meditating
on the immortality of flies.

With relief she alighted
on the blue tongue
of the Duke of Clervaux.

When silence settled
and only the whisper of decay
softly circled the bodies

and only
a few arms and legs
still twitched jerkily under the trees,

she began to lay her eggs
on the single eye
of Johann Uhr,
the Royal Armourer.

And thus it was
that she was eaten by a swift
fleeing
from the fires of Estrees.

So I wouldn't get too caught up in editing: keep the lot. Look at most
famous photographers - when they die, the most Joe Public gets to see is
about one hundred of their images. Print one hundred of your best images.
Douglas