Subject: [Leica] LHSA membership
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 02:02:26 -0400

Few if any of the annual meetings were out of the United states. Wetzlar was
the first I think in 2006. That was a big Jump from a few hours in an
airplane or driving to San Antonio! My first two meetings  in Denver in 1998
and Chicago in 1999 were in medium priced hotels but with special group
deals as can be expected.  The mattresses at both motels were both half
thickness I never knew they made those you slept ok but you knew you were
not in The Ritz. We discussed that on the Lug as to do our members need cut
rate deals in the deep suburbs way out of town from the city we were
visiting with half thick mattresses? They decided on giving in-town hotels
at not super cheap prices a try and plenty of people showed up. Years later
in Santa Fe in 2007 we stayed at the famous La Fonda on the Plaza in the
center of town and it was for sure over a hundred bucks a night but a group
of people on their own stayed at a lower end motel down the street and it
worked out ok. But going to Romania I didn?t know about I guess they figured
that people flying across the ocean having bought a 7 grand Leica M digital
must be doing ok in the cash department? Did they get a good turnout? I'm
going to guess they did.
It seemed to me  by the time I came to New York in 2006 and stopped going to
meetings the group has switched from being camera collection based to being
User based. A lot of younger people (still guys for the most part) who were
as interested in the results from their cameras as the cameras themselves;
cameras they did not have a dozen editions of with off printed serial
numbers..
Again I'll say I'm not a joiner I never joined I just got a magazine
subscription but as a burgeoning Leica lover being involved with the Leica
Society was the best thing I could have ever done. And it got me out of town
at least once a year. And I loved going to the Leica factory itself then in
Solms and meeting Andreas Kaufman and so on.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 7/5/19, 12:59 AM, "LUG on behalf of Philippe via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    Well, all things compared ?

<https://www.amazon.com/Leica-Digital-Rangefinder-Camera-20021/dp/B07GQ26FT2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_421_t_0/131-2842779-1959412?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WFVN73ANX2N7TTTKDHG1

<https://www.amazon.com/Leica-Digital-Rangefinder-Camera-20021/dp/B07GQ26FT2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_421_t_0/131-2842779-1959412?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WFVN73ANX2N7TTTKDHG1>>

    Amities

    Philippe

    > Le 4 juil. 2019 ? 18:22, Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu> a
?crit :

    > Out of curiosity, I looked at the Romania trip they have on the web
site?more than $7000 for 10 days, NOT including flights to Romania?that
tells me something about the target audience.

<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

    > YNWA

    >> On 4 Jul 2019, at 14:00, James Handsfield <jhandsfield at att.net>
wrote:

    >> LHSA stands for Leica Historical Society of America.  That?s the old
name, although the logo is still being used.  The new name is The
International Leica Society, and while there are still many interested in
and use the old cameras*, it?s much more directed to shooting and
processing, and all aspects of the technology associated.

    >> *One member shoots with an M2, among other cameras.
    >>
    >> I?ve enjoyed being a member and attending the events.  The annual
meetings are good, but I really enjoy the Spring Shoots.

    >> Jim Handsfield
    >> jhandsfield at att.net <mailto:jhandsfield at att.net>-
    >>
    >>> On Jul 4, 2019, at 12:44 AM, Nathan Wajsman <photo at
frozenlight.eu> wrote:

    >>> Same here. I was a member once upon a time, and participated in one
of the events in New York during a visit, and in a trip to Wetzlar when I
lived in Brussels (easy drive for me). But I noticed that the cameras were
mostly fondled rather than used, with just a few of the participants really
taking pictures of anything other than other people?s cameras. I believe
that the late great Tim Abrahamsson was one of the people I met through the
LHSA, but I am not sure.