Subject: [Leica] New Leica!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 14:02:43 -0400

What I found was the DX format is two lenses away from full frame. So your
50mm lens goes to 28mm passing the 35mm lens in effect.
But a 1.2 crop is one lens away for the most part. And I have that on my
D750 as an option which gives you framelines to look around like a Leica.
One lens longer. Way less pixels down the drain. And crop lines.
Way back I found the idea of throwing away pixels like that not for me but
when I tried it out on a D750, I found it very useful and fun and fooled me
into thinking I was shooting with a Leica M.
You also can crop 1.5 which is of course DX and very familiar; but the 1.2
and that gives you a frame line like you're looking though a rangefinder and
tightens things up just a nice bit. I use it a lot with that camera. The
amount of pixels I'm still getting is still more than I used to get with my
D700 which felt more than fine at the time. And the prints I can make are
still in line with the biggest on my 17" Wide Format Printing Epson P800. I
print at 240dpi not 300.
So I'm not really shooting myself in the foot big time using other crop
options on my fairly high rez full frame DSLR.
I love seeing around the framelines thinking around the box.

Now though I'm doing the rash thing by shooting with a Nikon D500 which is a
fast DX camera with no anti alias filter which encourages you to use
insanely high ISO's as if it's nothing. Noise is the brush stoke of digital
photography Man Ray could have said.
It does have this feature which gives you a crop frame line option.
Its result is my nemesis 2x crop as in the 4/3's format. I certainly balked
at that but do it from time to time when things are far far away and I have
not self-respect. I'd be cropping each like like a son of a gun and no one's
looking. Great fun.
Some day if I'm hanging a show of  bigger than 17 inch prints I may regret
it. And wish I had some integrity.
I think though we greatly over estimate are rez requirements when we print.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 4/1/19, 10:36 AM, "LUG on behalf of Tina Manley via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    But it's really a 28/1.7, right?  That crops for the other views?

    The added resolution also enables unique digital zoom capabilities to
    simulate working with different focal length lenses: 30MP images can be
    created using a 35mm field of view, 15MP images with a 50mm field of
view,
    and 7MP with a 75mm field of view.

    Tina

    --