Subject: [Leica] Perspective | Meet the men living deep in the Ozarks, away from the fray from The Washington Post
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 18:35:10 -0600

Americans are a strange amalgam from all around the world.  For the college
educated and highly trained it is incomprehensible that anyone would choose
to live off the grid.  Yet, especially in a lot of the southern US, Maine,
Wyoming, Idaho, and Alaska you will find a large number of individuals who
have made the choice to step away from society/civilisation.  This doesn't
include those with mental health disease.

I said a strange amalgam as many came here for land of their own,
opportunity that they would never have as they were a minority(Jewish in
Russia), and misfits that were ostracized in their old homelands.  Not to
mention the Africans who had no say.  So, in our better adjusted
communities we all more or less mingle and get along.  On our fringes where
cultures collide it can be like the border between Pakistan and India.

For my friends in Europe, the recent immigrants and integrating them into
your societies provides some idea of the stress that can come from
radically different cultures meeting and rubbing shoulders.

Thomas Sowell has a well researched book"Migrations" that has chapters
specifically discussing those who settled in the Appalachia region.  Mostly
from the border regions of northern England and Scotland when they came
their culture was far more violent and tribal than the current residents
are in England.  The American wing has not changed as much as their
European cousins.

Be well and all the best.