Subject: [Leica] Van-Del Drive-In Theatre
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 14:15:09 -0500

Makes sense. I think that the drive-through service window concept was
originally invented by McDonald's.

We have drive-through everything here. In some states, they even have
drive-through windows at liquor stores! Those are illegal in Indiana, but I
remember seeing a lot of them in New Mexico when I lived there. New Mexico
had a huge problem with drunk driving, and politicians out there were always
wringing their hands and crying about how they don't understand why so many
people in New Mexico keep being killed in car accidents caused by drunks.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Like My Work on Facebook

?On 2/17/19, 1:23 AM, "LUG on behalf of Nathan Wajsman"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
photo at frozenlight.eu> wrote:

    I think it is also the British (and European) culture is less
car-focused than the US, so the need for drive-in anything is more limited.
I have never seen a drive-through bank teller on this side of the Atlantic,
for example. Just about the only drive-through type services we have here in
Spain are some of the McDonalds and maybe Burger Kings (not sure about the
Burger King since I never eat at those places, I just happen to have noticed
the McDrives).

    Cheers,
    Nathan

    Nathan Wajsman

    Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

    YNWA

    > On 16 Feb 2019, at 10:46, Gerry Walden via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    > Interesting information Chris. Last year they tried open-air cinema in
one of the parks here (note, not drive-in) and it was moderately successful
on summer nights, but the vagaries of the British weather were just too much.

    > Keep posting your great work.
    >
    > Gerry
    >
    > Gerry Walden
    > 023 8046 3076
    > 0797 287 7932
    >
    >> On 15 Feb 2019, at 10:58, Christopher Crawford <chris at
chriscrawfordphoto.com> wrote:

    >> Thanks, Gerry.
    >>
    >> Funnel ball is a playground game. A metal or plastic basket is
mounted high on a pole. It has three or four holes in the sides at the
bottom of the basket. Players throw a ball (a basketball is usually used)
into the top of the funnel. The ball will come out one of the holes, which
are usually numbered. The number on the hole the ball emerges from is the
number of points the player gets. There is an element of skill (throwing the
ball into the high basket) and luck (which hole the ball comes out of is
basically all chance) in it.

    >> Drive-Ins were once very popular in the US, especially in the 1950s
and 1960s. They were still relatively common even in the early 1980s, when I
was very young (I was born in 1975). I remember going to drive-in theatres
in Fort Wayne with my parents, who owned a 1971 Chevrolet Malibu
Convertible. Drive-ins don't really work well with hardtop cars, a
convertible makes seeing the screen much easier! Convertibles are no longer
common, and I think that?s one of the reasons drive-ins have declined.

    >> There used to be two drive-in theatres in the part of Fort Wayne
where I grew up. There may have been others in the city, I'm not sure. Fort
Wayne is a large city and the two drive-ins that I knew both closed and were
demolished when I was around 10 years old. They seem to have completely
disappeared from big cities, but many of them are still open in small towns.
The Van-Del is one of four that I know of that are still open within an hour
drive of Fort Wayne. The other three are in Indiana. They're only open in
the summer, since we have very harsh winters in the American Midwest. A
couple weeks ago, we had several days of below-zero temperatures!

lug at leica-users.org> wrote:

    >>   Chris
    >>
    >>   There is something about this image which lifts it to a new level.
Drive-In movie theatres have never really arrive in this country (probably
because of the weather, so this image shows something of which I know very
little, and I have even less idea what a ?funnel ball goal? is. I think that
the starkness of the white against the background is great, and the work of
William Eccleston comes to mind. Well seen!

    >>   Gerry
    >>
    >>   Gerry Walden
    >>   023 8046 3076
    >>   0797 287 7932
    >>
    >>> On 14 Feb 2019, at 21:04, Christopher Crawford <chris at
chriscrawfordphoto.com> wrote:

    >>> There are still a lot of old drive-in movie theatres operating in
the midwest's small towns.

    >>> This is the Van-Del Drive-In, located just outside the small town of
Middle Point, Ohio. The name comes from the fact that it is located about
halfway between the towns of Van Wert and Delphos.