Subject: [Leica] OT: Anyone with first hand experience of travelling in/to SA? - Don
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 09:29:57 +0530

No direct experience of South Africa, but advice gleaned by almost yearly
travel to other parts of Africa:

The big mega cities are violent and crime ridden, be careful, and as with
any metropolis around the world, know where you can go alone safely, and
where you cannot. I would be as skeptical going to New York as I would to
Nairobi, both are dangerous for visitors in the wrong areas. As a matter of
abundant precaution, when going around, hire a car from your hotel instead
of taking cabs on the streets, even though it might cost more. If you have
a local with you, then you can go anywhere - I had a close friend in Sao
Paulo, considered the most dangerous metropolis in the world, and when
Neela & I visited, we consistently stayed out in parks and dodgy areas till
midnight, places we would not have dared to set foot in otherwise, and took
public transport everywhere, because Armando was with us together with his
invaluable local knowledge.

Conversely, I have never felt unsafe driving all around the various
countries in the  rural and semi urban areas

As a final comment, the only time I have been pickpocketed was in the King
George V subway.station in Paris!

In other words, use common sense!

Cheers
Jayanand