Subject: [Leica] WW: Are you ever too cautious ...
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 09:51:05 -0400

Les, I have thought of that.  At least in Atlanta, New York City, and
Austin if you qualify for various aid then you can get an extremely reduced
price monthly pass.  An extreme example is a friends son is a graduate
student in Chicago and his fare is zero as long as he is a student.  When
you snuffle around the various sites you can find the various fares.

Instead, I think this is an educational issue.  You have to know something
is out there before you spend time looking.  I know that Austin and Atlanta
have very well done phone apps; also both cities have pretty well sited
public libraries that have many kiosks for internet access at no charge.
So, first you have to know something is possible.  Second you have to have
the free time to research.  Third, you might have to have enough cash to
get where you want to go.

Helping people in need is far harder than it would seem from a well
educated, relatively well off financial position, with the free time to
engage in what if scenarios.  As an example, I was tired of the ridiculous
car rental fares in Austin especially near SXSW or the formula one race so
spent some time researching CapMetro in Austin.  It turns out they have a
route from the airport to within four blocks from my house there at a fare
of $2.50.  Now the time part, the first time I attempted to use this I
boarded the wrong bus and ended up at a small college.  With a little help
from helpful staff who did speak english but possibly not Spanish I found I
could catch the correct bus from my then current location.  The take away
is that if I spoke only Spanish and had a time deadline then this would not
work and could have had serious economic consequences.