Subject: [Leica] Green Shadows Example
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2018 20:35:02 -0400

There are two  overall initial color management themes one can use when one
prints:
1. Let Photoshop determine printed colors
2. Let printer determine printed colors

Most here on the Lug seem to go with the first. Me and my photographer
friends who I knew from Portland use the second.
As a result I use the excellent Epson printer software to adjust color and
contrast extra in case they are not matching my screen. I don?t use profiles
at all. I can't imagine trusting my prints to an automatic thing in which
there is no override for other than making in this case a print leaning
toward the magenta just for printing.
The Epson software also has really good black and white mode you can use
even making a black and white print from a color file.
There is great controls for black and white all around even having the print
be as warm or cool as you'd like so you can emulate Brovira or Portriga.

I think it's hard for someone who's printed in the darkroom their whole life
to now think "gee I'll just hit this button and the print will match the
paper IT PROMISES!"  We're used to a more hands on crafted approach. And we
really don?t go thought too much extra paper or time.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 4/8/18, 6:05 PM, "LUG on behalf of Tina Manley via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    PESO:

    This is driving me crazy.  Here is the original photo;

    http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/166471709

    Here is the 13x19 print (iPhone photo of print):

    http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/167279204

    What bothers me most is the greenish shadow on the edge of her jaw.  All
of
    the portraits have these greenish shadows somewhere.

    I'm using the profile for the Ilford paper that I have.  I've tried other
    profiles and they are even further off.  I've tried adjusting the color
    balance on the file away from green and toward magenta but then the whole
    thing is too pink.  I've tried split toning and just adjusting the
shadows
    but that doesn't make any difference.

    What am I doing wrong???

    TIA