Subject: [Leica] Green Shadows Example
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2018 20:55:43 -0400

I use and most of the hundreds of prints from top galleries all over the
world  I just saw at the AIPAD show used
Hahnem?hle Photo Rag Paper,
Check out
Hahnem?hle Photo Rag Paper (13 x 19", 25 Sheets) B&H # HAPRSB25308 MFR #
10641436  $107.44 in 308gsm
Also comes in 188 gsm for $77.49.

Its 100% cotton fiber. That?s all it is.
No darkroom paper was ever 100% cotton fiber (rag) but was mainly wood pulp.
Far from archival!
Our mount boards were pure rag.  (Museum board) But our print paper would
have been the first to go.
Now with inkjet we get both.

Baryta is in paper so when its wet for long periods the image does not get
dull. Its clay. It stops darkroom paper from falling apart in the wash.
Having it in inkjet paper which is dry to dry is simply imitating darkroom
prints.
As if a the only real photograph is a darkroom photograph.

Instead of imitating a darkroom paper print I'd set up a darkroom and use
real darkroom paper.
But I think my prints on Hahnem?hle Photo Rag Paper look like a cross
between a silver gelatin print and a Platinum palladium print.
I don?t need the gloss. I don?t need the fake darkroom stuff. Most of the
photographers printing for galleries, collectors  and museums agree.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 4/8/18, 8:14 PM, "LUG on behalf of Tina Manley via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    Jayanand was right.  I printed the same file on a sheet of Canson Platine
    Fibre paper that I happened to have and it came out perfect!  No green
    shadows at all.

    I had just bought 100 sheets of the 13x19 Ilford Gold Fibre paper to use
    for my gallery show.  I'll be ordering a different brand tomorrow and
    saving the Ilford for B&W prints.   :-(  These things always end up being
    much more expensive than I had anticipated!

    Thanks!

    Tina

    On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 7:39 PM, Brian Reid <reid at
mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>

    --
    Tina Manley
    www.tinamanley.com