Subject: [Leica] (no subject)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 14:19:49 -0500

I'm with Ted with 1600 being my favorite film speed as most the stuff I shot
was not with studio or camera lights or tripods but outside hand held.
In the 90's I mainly shot Fuji Neopan 1600 @ 1600 with my Leica's on the go.
That was what was mainly in my tall developing tanks when I developed film.
I ran it in Xtol 1:3 it looked way better than Tri x in D76 1:1 ever did so
it was a bit of a miracle.  Iso 1600 and not pushed!
Today it was announced Kodak's Tmax P3200 is back and P stands for push
rhymes with mush it?s a real not chromegic iso 1600 film. It always cost a
ton of money and I never thought it was worth it. And never came in Brownie
size. But it would be great to be able to shoot black and white iso 1600
again as 400 really feels slow. I'd shoot iso 1600 color neg and convert it
to black and white.
If I ever shoot more film it will be with my Rolleiflex or it will be sheet
film.

Personally I feel shooting slow films on the street to be kind of like
shooting yourself in the foot and going out for track. Slow as in iso 100.
And that?s medium. Much has been made on the LUG over the years about
getting the best from your Leica glass with high rez slow films but when
your shutter speed is an 8th of a second all you're getting out of your
Leica glass is mush.
It would be great to have a second camera body loaded with slower films for
when its high noon in the Bonneville salt flats and you want depth if field
but on the whole I can pass on it.
F ISO 1600 and be there!

--

Mark William Rabiner

?On 2/23/18, 1:31 AM, "LUG on behalf of Ted Grant via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    Hi Frank,
    I always used the correct film as it made picture taking and quality
perfect prints every time. But then my assignments were all shot by
AVAILIBLE LIGHT!!
    Well first of all if you can see it (the subject) you can shoot it! Oh
sure the odd time the ASA was 1600, but who cared! Like I said >>>> "IF YOU
CAN SEE THE SUBJECTS IN A "STEEL MILL?"
    What the heck at ASA 1600 and LEICA glass wide open it was a piece of
cake!
    You see, in my 65 plus years of assignments about the world from birth
to death you had to come home with photos! GOOD ONES and no sick assed
excuses after developing the film?
    If the images weren't any good that could very well be your last
assignment for a very well paying client. MY GOOD FORTUNE?   "it never
happened!"  :-)
    My shooting attitude toward gear, film, printing etc? "was always "KISS!"
    "" KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!"  KISS  :-)
    And in all those years from 27 May 1950 when my dearest wife put the
first camera in my hands as a birthday gift until to this day I never had a
client dump me as one of their trusted photographers. Today with the
NATIONAL ARCHIVES of CANADA having a personal collection of 200,000 images
of captured life moments. Plus something like another 100,000 images in the
NATIONAL GALLERY.
    I can only offer my success to that sweet little word and the actions of
it. "KISS!" :-)
    CHEERS EVERY ONE,
    Dr. ted grant O.C.

    tedgrantphoto.com