Subject: [Leica] IMG: Swiss Round Barn
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:52:07 -0600

Hi Philippe,

My searches tell me that, in the 1800s, there were two periods where
these were popular, both round and octagonal in shape.? I know that a
number of Swiss immigrants came to eastern Tennessee during those
periods.? Perhaps they just liked the current trend and adopted it, not
bringing the design from their past life.

What these new settlers found about the new area they had chosen was
that it could be lonely, and the soil was poor for farming.? I suspect
that the ones who moved to Franklin County, where I saw the barns, were
in search of more fertile farmland, and they found it.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA