It used to be in the mid 70?s the more you?d pay for a lens the less sharp it was.
That is to say the fast glass was the soft glass. And even after stopping down to 5.6 or 8 they were still softer then glass costing half as much. Sure an f 1.2 but even a 1.4.  A larger outer element can be a problem for lens designers it seemed.
Now when you pay big money for fast glass you get better results at 5.6 or 8 then you do with the medium priced spread maybe it?s the coatings or computer design. So it really is worth the money now to not go too slow.. No one thinks you are serious photographer unless you are dragging around a two pound huge chunk of glass costing thousands.
I think in the current land of ASA one million things have changed on that account.  The old needs of groundglass focusing are not the same.
I never much bought into the speed thing and most my glass is on the medium side. F 1.8 and be there.
My Zeiss for Hasselblad glass most of them are a blazing f4.
Thing is here in Leica-land they are constantly putting out that there is no reason whatsoever to stop down just shoot it wide open all the time to get the most out of your Leica buck.
That being unqualified baloney. It?s just not the way glass works or has ever worked or is ever going to work regardless of price.
By the way I?ve shot my Noctilux at all f stops when the occasion occurred but at f 1 it rendered quite an interesting image and was the best f 1 lens I ever shot with.
I found it in practice not to be an f1 and be there workflo but an f 2000th of a second be there kind of thing.
The shutter speed dial stayed at 2000 only the f stops moved. Sometimes it?s even dim enough for f 1 but more often than not you take what you get. I still have my Noctilux and as the economy works I can sell it for far more than what I paid for it.
I?ve not used it?s as a nest egg for when things get boring and I don?t have any spare cash to play with.
Someday it will be refreshing for a person to come on the LUG and say ?I?m selling my Noctilux because I just wanted people to think I?m rich and now I just want to play with the money?.
The reverse of a begger on the sidewalk holding a sign and a cup;  ?Money for Crack?.  I always give them a dollar.  It?s so amazing when people don?t lie!
Or if they play the violin. Or sing like Edith Piaf.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer